Poetic Interlude XXII

Adoration tears at me most wondrously
And often in despair I shake my head, my leg, my hand
As if to make an uncomfortable thing with many eyes depart.
You give me a clear light on a dim day
You push through vines with a knife
You push ahead when I have been knocked down
You work your way into my every affection without discrimination.
I cannot breathe for fear I will be heard – I cannot speak
For fear that you will change the way you listen.
I cannot, I say, and you understand that I am saying more –
Saying that I can, but it wrings out my heart to do it.
I want to grab Solomon’s shoulders, and shake, and make him tell me
What he saw in the way of a man with a maid
Where is the cord that binds?
I would cut it to free myself from desire – from desire’s need.
You will not find good things when I am open.
Not aged wine, not preserved honey, not herbed oil.
One half of me has rotted and the other is obsidian
I am in agony and hope, and feel them both the same
Your love, in being kind, has torn my heart in two. 

Comments

Popular Posts