Poetic Interlude V

I.


The fire-blackened corn stalks called
To me today with their leftover heat.
I thought of lying down in the midst
Of them, and becoming one with the char
So that the farmers wouldn’t see me - 
And they would run over me with blades
And wheels, and my red blood would soak
Down into the earth, and I’d be gone.
Except for a patch of pure-white lilies,
So fine as to be unplowable.
Until one night when a boy, enraged,
Would drive over the lilies in his Ford
And my last trace would decompose.


.............................................


II.

Last night a tree frog sat
On the top of my window-sill,
Looking at me as if he knew the secrets
That I have been trying to keep
From myself and others.
Tonight an owl, or a pair of them,
Have come to rest in the quiet woods
And they are calling to each other
With the most tender, urgent message.

I am desperately trying to keep
My sinful hands still and clean,
And hoping beyond all hope
That I can become like the trees.
Give me a chance at hope,
And I will make something
That will last for a long time.
Let me forget my sadnesses
And remember the sun.

Comments

Popular Posts